Tour du Canada Day 1: Victoria to Vancouver

Got an early start today so I could get a few hours of riding in before traffic picked up. The nice thing about going from the east coast to the west is that the time zone change meant I got to get up at 5:30 am while simultaneously sleeping in until 9:30.

My hosts, not accustomed to Atlantic time as I am, were still sleeping when I left, so I had to settle for a selfie with Dog, the dog.

Dog puts up with a lot

I rode down to the coast to do the typical cross-country bike tourist things, like dipping your rear tire in the Pacific Ocean, and posing with the Mile Zero marker. Then a quick stop at the legislature for some pictures. I should be able to hit nine of ten provincial legislatures on this tour. I’ll miss Edmonton, but I saw that way back in 2008.

I do not recommend pushing a loaded bike through wet sand
The view from Clover Point
Careful bicycle placement hides the CAA logo

The Galloping Goose Trail combined with the Lochside Drive trail meant I rode almost the entire way from Victoria to the Ferry terminal without encountering heavy traffic. The Galloping Goose is a shining example of how to design trail crossings: raise the crossing and make drivers stop instead of making cyclists dismount (side eye at you, Nova Scotia traffic laws that prevent this).

The ferry to Tsawassan was lovely. I wish it was longer. I’m very fond of taking my bike on ferries. I hit three different ferries last month, so it’s nice to have the trend continue. I was eager for a coffee and snacks, so I opted to pay $13 for access to the SeaWest Lounge, where coffee and treats were complimentary, quiet was enforced, and wifi & power outlets were available. It was cheaper than what I’d pay for a coffee and croissant at the onboard café.

View from the bow
My obligatory picture of my bike on a ferry

I’m meeting my friend Rod at his work in Richmond. We’ll ride from there to his place in Kitsilano. It was fairly nice riding between Delta and the Massey Tunnel to Richmond, but the tunnel is closed to non-motorized traffic. There’s a free shuttle that thought I’d try. Turns out it only runs every two hours outside of rush hour, which is how I ended up waiting for an hour at the side of a highway, trucks blaring by every few seconds. If Haligonians thought the Big Lift shuttle service was bleak, this place would make you cry.

This was not a serent place to sit for an hour.
The view from the bench. The sound and smell was even worse.

While waiting for Rod, I took a detour to Steveston and checked out the Britainnia Shipyards National Historic Site, though I was pretty close to bonking at this point after poor eating decisions today so I didn’t stay for long. Paid way too much money for a latte and sandwich at a local café, but I needed it.

The winch room. I like how that sounds.

Rod and I have been friends for nearly 30 years. We were each other’s best man when we got married. Living on opposite coasts now means we see each other infrequently, but whenever we manage to get together it’s like no time has passed. I’m excited to get to spend a couple days together.

Today’s distance: 109 km

Cumulative distance: 134 km

John Kyle @JohnKyle